the series      the author      news      discussion forum      links      home      

Bound to the Blade : Forum
A discussion of the BOTB series
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
If you could change one thing...
Posted by: vareth in silico (IP Logged)
Date: March 18, 2012 11:08PM

Well, since no one's taken me up on my challenge to start posting threads, HERE IS ONE from the person with probably the least amount of love for these books on the entire forum. :P

If you could change one thing about the Binding of the Blade series, what would it be?

And if you feel like making the question even more fun--what effect do you think your change would have on the rest of the story? Crazy AU fanfics welcome. :D

Re: If you could change one thing...
Posted by: Shalista (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2012 12:36AM

oh wow... i really only remember the first one.... but i would have to say it would be Joriem.... (i THINK that was his name) anyway, main farmboy, living. and it would change the story....ummm... NC-17 RATING BECAUSE OF HAWT MAKING OF BENJY(vague aproximation of HIS name) BOY SCENES!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That which does not feel pain is dead.

Posted by: Isi (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2012 12:46AM

Hm. Like, most of it. OH I KNOW I KNOW. MINDARIN AND RULALIN WOULD BE IN LOVE AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD TOGETHER. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Posted by: Sulare (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2012 07:39AM

Shali, you would suggest something like that. XD

As for what I would change? Uh, I don't know. I read them because tifa wanted me to, and while I more or less enjoyed the first book, I don't remember much of the rest of the series. If I come up with something I'll get back to you. XD

Date: March 19, 2012 08:34AM

I would've liked Rulalin taking over the world. XD ...New thread idea! Though it'll have to wait til I'm on the computer (currently on phone).

Shali, I could do without ever reading an LB Graham NC-17 scene. XDDDDDDDD

Posted by: The Right Holy Hermit of the Hunt (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2012 09:46AM

I don't know, I haven't read the books in too long...

Oh, wait. This might be a little lame and unimportant, but what's-his-face, Malak's (good grief, I'm not even sure that's his name...big evil dude) human top general guy, his armor apparently protects him from getting hit with a hammer, which I'm pretty sure is complete nonsense. It's flexible armor, so it isn't going to just halt the blow. Although maybe it's like ballistic cloth or whatever, but since I think people will still sometimes get broken ribs or whatever while wearing that, it should at least do something still. I think.

Posted by: Faerie Watcher (IP Logged)
Date: March 19, 2012 11:01AM

One thing? Yikes... too many options to pick from. I'll just list a few.

1- Give all the other characters more personality.

2- Make the bad guys a little more sneaky and less noticeable. Less of "oh, he looks like a shifty character; he's probably a bad guy!" Or "there's something odd about him; he's gotta be bad"

3- I thought the entire defeat of evil in Book 5 was too easy. If it were me, I would have had Malak destroyed but his forces left in disarray so that the good guys still have some work to do for a while. Then again, that might not have fit into the general theme of weapons, so.... oh, well...

4- Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like how Book 1 fit in with the rest of the series. I understand it was an introduction, but it reminded me too much of "Taliesin" from Lawhead's "Pendragon Cycle," where the story focused on the father more or less preparing the way for his son, who has been destined for great things. But I liked how Lawhead did it but not Graham's way. If it were me, I would have just introduced Benji in the first book and made his father less significant.

5- Make the bad guys' evil plan more clearer. The whole flooding of the earth to wreck havoc didn't really seem like a good, evil plan to me. Maybe, because the first book focused so much on the ruling class, the evil plan instead could have been to infiltrate the ruling class and weaken the continent even further in preparation for a massive military invasion. That would have been far more interesting.

"The Christian shoemaker does his duty not by putting little crosses on the shoes, but by making good shoes, because God is interested in good craftsmanship."- Attributed to Martin Luther

My writing blog: [aspiringpen.blogspot.com]

Date: March 19, 2012 12:36PM

Faerie, number 4 in particular reminds me of that Vonnegut quote: "Start as close to the end as possible."

...Vonnegut's actually full of good advice, so, while not wanting to bash the books too much (got that out of my system a while back, I think), I will say they could've benefited from Mr. Graham trying out a couple of these points.

Posted by: Falchion (IP Logged)
Date: April 7, 2012 08:59PM

Bumping because I want to actually think about this and come up with an answer. XD

Posted by: Aelwyn (IP Logged)
Date: April 7, 2012 10:38PM

yea this is a good question. I might say I would change the scene in the end of All My Holy Mountain where Aljeron does not want to give up his sword. I'm not sure how I would change it, but there is something about it that unsettles me.

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>
If we discover a desire within ourselves that nothing in this world can satisfy, then we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world.
~C.S. Lewis

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

the series | the author | news | discussion forum | links | home